Monday, November 20, 2017

Back to Square One...

... well, not quite but almost.

Once again, over a month since last update.

I have been slacking a bit at the gym. Actually, I have continued to lift, on and off, but cardio has been a long-lost friend.  Nonetheless, my overall activity has dropped, and the scales -- the true judge and jury in whole thing -- have rendered verdict.

Over the last month or so, I have gained back a little bit of the weight I've lost. Not all of it, but a couple of pounds.

Now, part of the slack has been because I tweaked my back a few weeks ago -- doing nothing, actually, it just randomly knotted up -- and that put me off the gym for a week+. I can't really help that, however.

The issue here has happened to me before -- I get injured, or sick, or something -- and it breaks me of the (good) habit. Not an excuse, just a recognition, and each time it happens, I have to drag myself back in there, knowing damn well I enjoy it once I start going.

The other part which is under my control is a vague disinterest in the exercise bike. This has two root causes:

  • Playlists - I have a variety of playlists through which I cycle (no pun intended), really up-tempo stuff which I use to propel me through a workout. I think I'm getting a bit tired of these, and want to create new ones. 
  • Plateaus -  As noted plenty of times in the past, I chart all the progress on the bike, and for a while I was making significant progress as far as overall improvement. However, as I got healthier, obviously I started to hit a ceiling.
Both of these should be easily remedied. Get some new playlists, and recognize that I can't sustain such enormous rates of progress forever.

Regardless, I did go back to the bike today, using an old playlist. Obviously I had fallen off pace a bit, but it did feel good. 

If I can continue to go, and regain/maintain progress over the holiday season, I'll be in a good place for the new year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Get Physical

Today I had my yearly physical, or what should be my yearly. I kinda slack on that. I weighed in at 198. By means of comparison, for other v...