Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Stasis... or not?

It has been over a month since my last post here. I figured it was due time to post again... not that anyone reads this but again to keep myself accountable.

There has been a lot going on the last month or so, and following my progress, I have admittedly not been as active as I would've liked.  Some of that was within my control and other parts not so much.

In any case, I've been hovering around the same point.  I might have even gained a pound or two, but generally I think it has been within the margin of error. That said, I have not seen that nice milestone that I hit a month ago, so in general, I've been disappointed in my lack of progress, but I know much of that is only to blame on myself.

That said, I've been going back in earnest the last two weeks or so, and things are definitely getting back on track.

I am sort of frustrated with my recent results on the exercise bike, but in reality, based on my ridiculous charting, it shouldn't be much about which to be concerned... we're talking less than 1 calorie per minute difference or so. In the end, 45 minutes to an hour of biking, at the rate I'm going, is still gonna make a big dent in things.

I have also recognized, or at least seem to think, that the combination of weight training + cardio is better than either one on its own. I guess the way I rationalize it, which may not be scientific, but works for me, is:

  • Getting on the bike and burning ~600-700 calories is, in and of itself, great, and is a net reduction.
  • Doing weight training burns fewer calories up front, but seems to slow-burn those calories I consume in the subsequent 24 hours or so, in rebuild mode.
In short, I'd been in stasis, but I think that time, not really focused on working out, helped me a bit introspectively; It also has helped me again appreciate the return to progress I was seeing before my semi-hiatus.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Get Physical

Today I had my yearly physical, or what should be my yearly. I kinda slack on that. I weighed in at 198. By means of comparison, for other v...